Friday, March 26, 2010

Spring Break 2010

Since Tyler and I both are in school this year, we had Spring Break at the same time. I was eager to get out of town and forget about my schooling for a little while. Tyler on the other hand, was fine with staying home and relaxing. He did just go on vacation to Maine, so his adventurous spirit was not begging him to leave like mine was. We went back and forth about whether we'd go anywhere or not for quite some time. Evenutally he told me to just decide. I went and took a shower (where I do my greatest thinking) and came to the conclusion that we should go. We both had a bad feeling about going seeing as our truck doesn't climb hills too well. The two major passes through the Rockies lie at 10,662 and 11,990 feet. I ignored the feeling though and told Tyler we should just go. So, that we did. As we were driving along, we had gotten past the higher of the two passes when Tyler and I started planning a great way to suprise my sister and brother-in-law who were already at our destination but didn't know we were coming. We came down around a hill when all the sudden the power to the truck completely died. We pulled over to the side of the road, and called for roadside assistance. I was happy that we were only a mile away from vail so the tow was covered by our insurance. The bad thing was... we were in Vail, during spring break. Now, for those of you not from Colorado, or unfamiliar with Vail, it is not cheap. People fly in from all around the world to ski there. We had our dogs with us also so we had to find a hotel that would take us and our dogs. The holiday inn was glad to take our reservation for a great discount of $200 a night. We found out our alternator had gone out so we had to get that replace for $460. So far, our trip was costing us WAY more than we had expected. After realizing our mistake in avoiding the promptings, we decided to say a prayer and ask that the rest of our trip go smoothly and for us to be better at listening from then on. We drove on to Fruita and had a great time with my sister and her family.
Sawyer crawling around at our stranded hotel in Vail
First time swimming! (He preferred the hot tub, the pool was WAY too cold!)
Look at his bum! :)

Cousins!
Then we drove to Moab the next day and hiked to delicate arch. As you can see in the picture, this was NOT as easy hike. It was so fun for me to be out and enjoying nature. It reminded me how much I love the outdoors and got me excited for this summer. Hopefully I can get out more and enjoy it this summer. I think there is something about enjoying God's creations that fulfills a need we can't fulfill any other way. It reminds us of his power and his love. We had a great time and are happy to be back home safe and sound.

Daddy and Sawyer ready to start hiking

Off we go! (Notice the bottle in the back? We are always prepared!)

Walking with Kevin and Katie

Steep climb ahead!

Beautiful delicate arch
Uncle Tyler and the kids!

1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun! I bet the weather in Moab was perfect not too hot and not too cold! Love your super cute little family! :)

    ReplyDelete